The Matter of the Soul is an exploration into engendering empathy in humans with dispersal in the Arctic region through new media artwork combining sound art, haptics and installation.
The project began with the Artist in the Arctic residency, aboard the Akademik Sergei Vavilov, is supported by Friends of the Scott Polar Research Institute (University of Cambridge, UK), Bonhams, and One Ocean Expeditions. Its continued development is the topic of my Cultural Fellowship at the Cultural Institute, University of Leeds.
In the ears
Concentration is the first composition from The Matter of the Soul. It is an acid crystal immersion exploring changing acidity and salinity in our oceans as a consequence of climate change. It premièred at Spectrum, Berlin in March 2018.
In greater depth
In the outside world
Playlist The Matter of the Soul – interview and raw recordings preview on Datscha Radio, as part of Biotopes in Future Perfect, 27th August 2017
(files for raw recordings also on Github):
1) An interview with Nakinga Nakashuk Interview1_NukingaNakashuk_roughedit.mp3
2) A recording of sonified pH measurement from Frobisher Bay pH1_FrobisherBay.mp3
3) A recording of sonified pH measurement from Beechey Island pH2_BeecheyIsland_resolves.mp3
4) A recording of sonified conductivity measurement from open water Q_Conductivity2_OpenWater.mp3
5) An interview with Gyu Oh the curator at the Iqaluit’s Museum Interview2_Gyuaudiocrop.mp3
6) Smoke City – Underwater Love
7) dEUS – Disappointed in the Sun
8) Jesus Jones – The Right Decision
Datscha Radio blog on The Matter of the Soul (and other projects)