I’m making an interactive sculpture for the Enlightenment Café’s New Atlantis immersive theatre show, running at The Crystal in London on the 19th-25th January. The sculpture explores how our awareness of ecological problems might impact on our survival as a species.
In previous posts you’ll be able to see how the electronics and mould-making for the sculpture have progressed. I’m now seeing in the New Year by doing some frontend design for the screen that will show data from Twitter and a countdown to the next deluge of water, which will happen after a set amount of time, if a Twitter target is not met for a number of tweets with a certain hashtag. To delay the deluge, and the consequent faster melting of the icebergs underneath the tap, the audience can tweet at the sculpture so that the discussion hashtag reaches its target before the deadline.
My paper designs gave rise to the following:
And now I’m half way through making it digital. I’m using as the bootstrap template, the Bootbundle “Counter” Template from Blacktie. This is just the static page with the counter. Now I need to add in the dynamic stuff from Node Red and to play about with transparency for the Twitter feed at the bottom.
I still need to name this sculpture..! Answers on postcards please…
I unwrapped my “christmas presents” from myself gleefully yesterday morning. Electronics to play with! A Raspberry Pi! Cables! A servo!!
Except not everything was there… In fact, there were no jumper cables, and there was no Raspberry Pi B+. And to make matters worse, the 7 inch screen I ordered arrived broken – crucial wires having been sliced through before it was bunged in a package and sent over to me.
Woe. Woe is me.
Having fortified myself with tea, I decided to see how far we could get with an old RPi (Model A, rev 2) and the cables we already had.
Thus, I made command central. All systems go.
Using one age old CRT monitor as a workbench, I used the other – normally used for video editing – as a makeshift screen. I literally lost track of how long we spent looking for cables to hook up these bad boys. Finally, hanging onto these hulking brutes of useless electronics through international relocations has paid off. Jun (my incredibly helpful other half without whom I’d not have got so far yesterday) – and his vast stores of seemingly irrelevant and outdated gear – has been vindicated.
But it’s not just Jun who hangs onto old electronics – I have been lugging old bits of redundant crap around the globe too. Including this old motherboard.
This old motherboard which was the source of the final component we needed – female adapters for my cables so we could link them up to the RPi.
All that remained was for me to hook everything up
“This video shows two steps in getting a servo to respond to Twitter. First, we’re rigging it up and testing its response by varying the PWM-MS values. Then we hook it up to a Node Red script that scrapes Twitter for #water and #fail at the limits of the PWM-MS values – and it’s grooving to Twitter’s beats.”